Best weather app for AP in Singapore

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
cytan299

Re: Best weather app for AP in Singapore

Post by cytan299 »

Hey Bernard,
There’s a good chance that it’ll be clear enough tonight. This is the satellite image at 5:40 pm today:
IMG_0039.png
If I do a simple projection of the path of the clear sky to the East of Singapore over the next few hours in my mind, it looks like it’ll be clear.

cytan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bernardchew

Post by bernardchew »

Yeah, skies looks clear now and I’m hoping it continues to 1-2am :mryellow: Keeping fingers crossed 🤞
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

I see stars as of 20:00 hrs!!!! Background is still pretty bright, but that's to be expected, I guess since Singapore is the most light polluted country in the world.

cytan
bernardchew

Post by bernardchew »

I was able to do some imaging tonight from 9.30pm - 12mn. Will upload the live stacks tomorrow.
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

Hi Bernard,

It looked like midnight was clear:
aaa.jpeg

So was it still clear when you finished at midnight? If it was, then I think using the satellite photos may be the best method for determining whether it'll be clear for imaging. It also looks like it would've been clear for a few more hours after midnight as well.

Here's the 2 am image:
test.jpg

cytan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bernardchew

Post by bernardchew »

It was clear until just after midnight, when patchy clouds started to drift in. At that point, I called it a night and packed up. It was also getting very balmy [smilie=hot.gif]

btw, my photos from last night are in this thread :)
jwqw8

Post by jwqw8 »

cytan299 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:52 am
jwqw8 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:05 am I rely on live images from the Himawari-8 weather satellite (https://www.data.jma.go.jp/mscweb/data/ ... p?area=ha4). Forecast apps are pretty hit-and-miss.
Thanks! Looks like a great resource.

I've been here for the last three weeks and it's been raining or cloudy and raining or cloudy and raining or cloudy ... what are the best months to even think of doing AP?

cytan
The least worst months are probably Feb-March and June-August.

That said, we're going to have el Nino conditions for the next few years, so we may experience generally less precipitation and cloud cover.